Friday, June 29, 2012

Story Time

So today I'm going to tell the story of one amazing woman: Carla. I work with Carla in the kitchen and our daily duties are cooking, cleaning, washing dishes, killing cucarachas, washing dishes, giving water to our thirsty kids, washing dishes, shooing away flies, oh and if I haven't mentioned it before; washing dishes. Carla is an amazing woman who has a smile that can blind cucarachas. I have absolutely enjoyed my time in the kitchen with her.

Carla has a heart and passion for kids. The kids all adore her and she just lights up when she sees them. However, she is stuck in the kitchen all day. She use to work with the kids but they needed a new cook and she rose to the challenge. But even though I catch her looking over to the playground from time to time, she has never had a bad mood in the kitchen. She is such a great example of one of those phrases that we love to use. "Grow where you are planted." She does such a wonderful job in the kitchen and that kitchen has definitely become a little ministry site. Everyday she allows me to have a little glimpse into her life and everyday her inner strength surprises me. Carla is the one that all the other teachers go to for advice and she gives it with such humility.

Carla has one child and she has to leave her at home all day. She is also on her feet all day and is with child!!!!! I look up to her so much.

When I was assigned to the kitchen, I was sad because I came to be with the kids at Casita Benjamin, but after being with Carla she has reminded me that I have come to serve. When I look at Carla, the only thing I see is Philippians 4:11-13 being lived out.

1 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

I am so grateful for Carla and how she has already influenced my life for the better.

TKM
-Jazz

No comments:

Post a Comment